Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ole Miss, White After Labor Day, and Being a Sorority Girl

Ole Miss instituted a "Goodbye to Summer" tradition by inviting (also known as "ordering" or "strongly suggesting") everyone attending their football home opener to wear white because every good Southerner knows you don't wear white after Labor Day.

Unless it's "winter white" then it's totally okay.

I had to share this with my big sis from KD, Leigh the Supermom- then we discussed how difficult it must have been to find a white dress. In Oxford. At the end of summer.*

As the article pointed out, the poor girl who couldn't find a dress? She's probably blacklisted from the "good" sororities and won't be able to drop out of school from embarrassment because recruitment is after the drop date. This might have been me. I was the girl bawling on Bid Day because I didn't get my first choice of sororities. Memphis did recruitment before school started way back when, so I could have slipped easily into the commuter student abyss and never been seen or heard from around Greek Life again. I stuck with it, Leigh took me under her wing, and we're very close to this day. My college experience wouldn't have been near as fun without Greek Life.

Sorority Girl habits die hard. I've written several recommendations for former students, family friends, or relatives and I always get so excited for them. I despised recruitment, mainly because it really cut into my sleep schedule and our recruitment chair always decided camping or bunking at a livestock auction house was a great retreat idea, but I also remember how much fun those times were. And you better believe I'm writing those recs knowing exactly what's being said after parties end for the day.

Part of me realizes the Ole Miss white-out game and reasoning for delayed recruitment is insane. The other part of me wishes Memphis had been more like them because they end up having article written about them and their fashion choices for a football game. See what I mean about Sorority Girl habits?


*Please don't misconstrue this as me thinking Oxford isn't a shopping mecca. If we strike it rich, I'll be shopping there all the time. What?!?! They've got super cute clothing down there. Oddly enough, I've never seen a white dress on the Square. 

No comments:

Post a Comment