Jeff, Cooper, and I were on the way home from Destin and Daddy waited to tell me until he was sure we were home. We're all thankful that she passed away quickly, with what appeared to be very little suffering, but it's a shock to the system. I never thought that would be the phone call I received when we got home. My parents said when they visited her Sunday, she was just as chipper, alert, and happy as she'd been since she got home.
I am forever grateful for having the pleasure of being Grandmama's granddaughter. She was the classiest, most elegant, loving woman I've ever known. She's taught me so much, not only about how to treat people, but about life in general. Her and Alfie were the epitome of what a husband and wife should be and I know they are happy together once again. As you can see from this picture, Grandmama is sitting next to a blue armchair. That was Alfie's chair and the one he always sat in, notably on Christmas Eve when we got together as a family. After he passed away, no one ever sat in that chair, but Grandmama always sat next to it, just as if Alfie were there in more than just spirit.
One of my favorite Grandmama stories is that she had taken me shopping when I was little and a few days later, I was playing grocery store. My parents heard me saying, "Charge it!" and when I asked, I told them Grandmama said that when we went shopping. Jeff has never forgiven her for teaching me to shop!
My heart breaks that I wasn't able to say goodbye to Grandmama. It was sad, but nice to have her home so I could take Cooper to see her. I am thankful she and Cooper were able to meet and will always remember the sweet, loving smile she'd give when holding him:
Rest is peace, Grandmama. We love and miss you more than words can express.
No comments:
Post a Comment