Usually I read a ton over the summer, but it seems like the past few months have flown by and I haven't gotten much done. I have spent a lot of time with Cooper and have also worked quite a bit, so vacation was the perfect time to get caught up.
Before we left, I finished up Steven Tyler's autobiography. Don't bother. It took me longer to read his book than it took me to read Keith Richards's book and it was much less entertaining and believable and much more graphic, crude, and out-of-control. Not that I had the utmost respect for Steven Tyler to begin with, but I definite have very little for him now.
On to Tina Fey's book Bossypants. Two thumbs up! If you like anything Tina Fey does- 30 Rock, SNL, talk shows- you'll like to book. To me, she's so funny, down-to-Earth and, as a working mother, her hilarious viewpoint of having a career with children is dead-on. Love her and love the book!
While on vacation, I read Jonathan Tropper's How to Talk to a Widower. I have loved everything Jonathan Tropper has written- The Book of Joe, This is Where I Leave You, and now How to Talk to a Widower. He writes about topics that normally aren't funny- death, divorce, extra-marital affairs- but his take on them and the situations he puts his characters in are great. He also incorporates lots of touching moments into his books, so the balance is great.
I am about halfway through with J. Courtney Sullivan's new book, Maine. Her last book Commencement was great and so far, Maine has not disappointed. It is about 3 generations of an Irish-Catholic family who struggle with their relationships with each other as it comes time to visit the grandmother at the family's summer house in Maine.
And in other book news, I am seriously considering a Kindle/Nook. I love holding a book in my hands and I've perfected the treadmill workout while reading, but it may be time to bite the bullet. Maybe a birthday present?
Once things settle down, I will post pictures and a rundown of our vacation. Craziness and stressful, but we had a great time!
No comments:
Post a Comment