Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Reading

Anyone that knows me knows I love to read. It's one of my stress relievers and while I don't get to read as much as I used to, I still try to find some time in the day to get a couple of pages read. I've mastered reading on the treadmill, so when the weather isn't nice enough for us to take our daily walk, I read while working out.

Normally by this time in the summer, I've placed a huge Amazon order and taken care of a few books. I've re-read books that were assigned as summer reading in high school that I could have cared less about then, but really appreciated when given a second look. I normally go for easy beach reads, but have come to appreciate many different types of authors and genres.

My dear friend Tori and I have our own little book club. We have similar interests, so one of us is sure to have a book the other wants to read. The latest one I borrowed from her is Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart, about a woman who takes her sister's place at a Jane Austen workshop and comes to find who her true love is. Very good!

So far, I've knocked out Hellhound on His Trail, which is about James Earl Ray and his steps before and after he assassinated Martin Luther King, Jr. It was a fantastic read, especially if you are from Memphis. I am working on Commencement now, which is about freshmen at Smith College and how their relationships form. So far, I am enjoying it, although it's different than what I thought it was going to be.

Do you have any book suggestions? I have read everything from John Grisham and James Lee Burke to Fannie Flagg and Emily Giffin. It's all fair game!

4 comments:

  1. Great suggestions! I can't wait to get started on some of those! I Just finished The Rule of Four, it's kind of like the Da Vinci Code, college campus style, and most recently, Hell is Other Parents. It's hilarious and makes you feel like you're not the crazy mom after all. It's everyone else out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried goodreads.com?

    http://www.goodreads.com/?utm_content=logo&utm_medium=email&utm_source=updates

    The cool thing is that you can share the books you like with your friends and get ideas from them, too. Katie and I are members, although Katie is better about updating than I am since she has a very active librarian friend who she shares with, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Commencement - you'll have to let me know what you thought. The second half of the book is completely different than what you expect (but it sounds like you have found that already) but the characters were so intriguing. I don't know if you have ever read The Time Traveler's Wife but I LOVED that book. I need to read it again actually. And yes - join Goodreads! I'll send you an invite so you can keep up with what I'm reading, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I just started 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks'. It's awesome, I can't put it down!

    ReplyDelete