Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Why Do I Feel So Old?

Last night, Tori and I went to the Robert Plant concert at The Orpheum. Talk about good fortune: her parents bought tickets, then ended up bidding on better seats at a charity event and won. They gave their tickets to Tori and she asked me to go with her. No brainer there- of course I'm going to see Robert Plant!

We had great seats, but unfortunately, there were some rowdy middle-aged women behind us. I don't know where they had been before the show, but it was somewhere that served alcohol...and lots of it. The Orpheum had bars on just about every level and I think these women visited all of them before the show started.

At first, it was really funny. You just kind of shake your head, wondering why someone their age is still acting like an 18 year sorority girl (dressing like one, too. As my dad says, "Someone doesn't know their limits."). As the night goes on and the women start talking (aka screaming at the top of their lungs), making it difficult for the rest of us to hear, the hilarity stopped. This would be before they started gyrating with an older man sitting a few seats down from us right behind mine and Tori's heads.

Truly- if you are middle aged, drinking enough to make a fool of yourself, are wearing clothes your teenaged granddaughter would probably rather die than wear, and all the other concertgoers around you are telling you to knock it off, it might be time to just sit and enjoy the show. Instead, they either cussed everyone out or said some slurred version of, "We paid to see the show. We can do whatever we want." or "Robert would be so upset if he knew this was going on." Yes, I'm so sure that's his #1 concern.

Anyway, Robert Plant was AMAZING. His voice is so distinctive, yet unique, and the music was incredible. One of the Band of Joy members, Patty Griffin, sang and I think every person in the building had chills. It was like she put every ounce of her being into performing. Tori and I just looked at each other and our mouths dropped- what talent! Thankfully, they did play some bluesy renditions of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Gallows Pole" because I think most of the crowd would have freaked if he hadn't done some Zeppelin. They also played a few of the songs he recorded with Alison Krauss, which only would have been better if she were there.

It was a great show, but who would have thought I would have left feeling so old? I guess asking people your parents age to stop being so disgusting will do that to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment