I took dancing for 15 years and my recitals were normally the afternoon of the Tony Awards. We'd have dinner after the recital and race home so my mom and I could watch the Tonys. I've left family dinners early to see it from start to finish and although they'd do it begrudgingly, you could probably twist my dad's, brother's, and Jeff's arms to admit that there is a degree of hilarity to the show. I think I still dream of being on the "Great White Way", although I was never a good enough dancer and if y'all have ever heard me sing, well, then you know there's no hope there, either.
Neil Patrick Harris was great as host this year, opening the show with "Broadway's Not Just for Gays Anymore." Hilarious! I think that's one of the many reasons I love the theatre, musicals, Broadway, etc. so much- there's no apologizing for who you are, they'll openly thank their partners, and no one's gasping in shock over anything. Just go with the flow, make fun of what you can, have a good sense of humor, and enjoy life.
So, let's get to the fashion:
I liked Christine Brinkley's dress, although it looks a little "prom-y" to me. The hair didn't help and let's not even get into her daughter, Alexa Ray's look- yikes. It looks like her hair is hurting her. While I liked the dress, if you caught Brinkley's introduction for the performance by "Company", you'll think the dress took on a life of it's own, making Brinkley seem like a high-on-meth teenager. Whoa...she had to be on something to be that animated:

While not a fan of her dress, I think Ellen Barkin is stunning. I'm not sure why, but Tori and I were talking about her this weekend as we were watching Ocean's Thirteen. Her haircut works so well for her and while you can tell she is older, I think she's gorgeous. And, I really want to see the play she won a Tony for- "The Normal Heart" about the AIDS epidemic in 1980s New York.

"The Book of Mormon" actress Nikki James had one of my favorite dresses of the night:

Whoa...who let Angela from "Who's the Boss" back into the limelight?

Judith Light, nominated for "Lombardi", looks a little ill in this picture. I thought she looked really, sickly thin when they showed her last night and this picture further proves the point.
And presenting...the Helena Bonham Carter of Broadway...Whoopi Goldberg!

Whoopi has helped bring "Sister Act" to Broadway. I wasn't impressed with last night's performance, but it wouldn't have been at the top of my "must see" list anyway.
Love, love, love Sutton Foster:

Sutton had a brief stint at a high school near us, so I feel like I cheer for the hometown girl with her. When Jeff took me to New York after I finished my graduate degree, we got tickets to "The Drowsy Chaperone" just because she was starring in it. Of course, her run ended a month before we were there. She won last night for her portrayal of Reno Sweeney in "Anything Goes", but got a little crazy (think "ugly cry") when she thanked her dresser and burst into tears because he was leaving her to pursue his dream of being an artist.
Now on my must-see list (preferably on Broadway, but I don't think that's happening again anytime soon): The Book of Mormon, Mamma Mia! (never seen it and hope to next summer when it comes to Memphis), Memphis, Million Dollar Quartet, La Cage aux Folles (I've already begged to have tickets to these 3 shows when they stop at The Orpheum during the 2011-2012 season), Jersey Boys (Love this show. Love it. Could see it a million times and never get sick of it.), Hair, Rock of Ages, and Spring Awakening.
So as they say when they close the Tonys, "...get out there and see a Broadway show!"
No comments:
Post a Comment