I'm really far behind on a pop culture post and thought it would be a good time to update. Now that the summer movies are almost to DVD and the fall shows are on TV, I feel like I'm behind!
Movies
"The Help"- loved, loved, loved this movie! The book was amazing and the movie didn't disappoint. It really brought the book to life and I don't know that I have hated a movie character as much as I hated Hilly Holbrook. Bryce Dallas Howard did an amazing job! You truly feel like you have stepped back to the 60s in Jackson, MS.
"50/50"- again, fantastic movie! It was the perfect mix of laughter and heartbreak. It is very difficult to describe the emotions it brings up, but the best I can say is that it was the most raw and real depiction of cancer while at the same time having some of the funniest movie lines.
TV Shows
Jeff and I both watch quite a bit of TV, but we are behind on watching some of our shows. There are some that we've loved and kicked to the curb.
Our favorite new show definitely has to be "Up All Night." Maybe it's because we're relatively new parents ourselves and like to think we're cool, knowing we really aren't, but we cackle through each episode every week. Christine Applegate and Will Arnett are hilarious together and we all know someone like Maya Rudolph's character, Ava. Two thumbs up!
"Suburgatory" is a show about a daughter and her father who move to the Midwest from New York City and the adjustments they go through. The jury is still out, but the show is at least funny and relatable.
I've also picked up "Fashion Hunters" on Bravo. The show is about Second Time Around, a high-end consignment store in New York. It is crazy to see how much people will pay for clothes, especially re-sale, and the characters that come into the shop. It's my new guilty pleasure!
We gave "Whitney" a try for a few weeks and it's now off the DVR list. It was nowhere near as funny as we had hoped it would be and it seemed to be getting worse each week.
We also tried CBS's "Person of Interest" and gave up on it after 2 weeks. We tried and after the 1st episode, neither one of us were convinced. I tried the 2nd week and it just was not happening.
We've kept our favorites like "Community", "Parks and Recreation", "The Middle", "Modern Family", "Glee" and I'm still hooked on all the Real Housewives, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Tosh.0, and many others I'm forgetting.
Books
Honestly, I have not read that much lately. I just finished Tim Gunn's book Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work. I do not watch "Project Runway", but knew who Tim Gunn was. The book was good- a very easy read- so if you're looking to kill some time and not have to think too much about what you're reading- it would be a good choice. I have Edna Buchanan's The Ice Maiden and am about halfway through The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, so those will be the next ones to read on the list.
Restaurants
We haven't tried anywhere new lately to eat, but Jeff and I are both excited about Stone Soup, a new breakfast and lunch restaurant in Midtown. One of our favorite restaurants of all time was Buns on the Run. We'd go to breakfast there every Saturday morning before Cooper was born. They'd have pancakes the size of a dinner plate and Jeff even made up his own breakfast sandwich that's now called "The Big Rex", which is Texas toast, sausage, ham or bacon, eggs, and cheese. Buns on the Run closed...tear...but the chef went on to help open another great Midtown restaurant, Trolley Stop Market. We had breakfast there a few times before we started noticing the menu had changed. Turns out, the chef moved on to another restaurant and has now opened Stone Soup, right down the street from the original Buns on the Run. Old favorites like the pancakes and famous crepes are on the menu for breakfast, so I know it won't be long before we try it. Can't wait!
Music
I'm not the best judge of music because I tend to stay closer to the pop music side of things, but I'm loving Coldplay right now. I like any type of music that makes me feel like dancing and keeps me going through my workouts. That's never really changed!
No comments:
Post a Comment