Friday, April 29, 2011

William and Kate Tie the Knot



The royals have added to their family today, with the world watching Prince William and Kate Middleton get married. I DVRed The Today Show's coverage, but ended up watching while I was getting ready for work. It truly was a fairy tale wedding. I can't imagine the jitters you have passing by millions of people on the way to your ceremony, then thinking about it being televised worldwide.

While I know they're British and proper, did anyone else feel awkward watching Kate gingerly hold her dad's and Prince William's hands? I know I was gripping onto my dad's arm for dear life walking down the aisle and I was holding on just as tight to Jeff.

So the dress...Kate looked beautiful! Now, I myself would have been pitching a fit to have to be covered up and not go strapless, but when you're marrying into the royal family, I suppose to just go along with it and do your best to not look frumpy. And frumpy she wasn't. The dress was elegant, sophisticated, and I'm sure lace and long sleeves will be the newest look in wedding fashion. Apparently William thought she looked stunning, too. In one of several "I'm getting teary-eyed" moments, he looks at Kate and says, "You look beautiful." Quite a sentiment from someone seen as so stoic and brave.

I wonder if those in the UK are thinking this is it for a while for royal weddings. Can y'all see Harry getting married anytime soon? He's been dating Chelsy Davy on and off for a few years, but those two seem like they'd buck any trend they could. Maybe that's why I like Harry more than William- he seems more human, just wants to have a good time, and isn't going to settle down any time soon.

And really, I'm thinking the Queen Mum is saying no way is SHE going to be part of our family:


Speaking of crazy family members, did y'all check out Princess Eugenia's and Princess Beatrice's outfits?

Seriously- they have to be the family members you don't want to invite, but know you have to, even though all your alcohol is going to be gone in no time with them around. I'd be lying if I told you I didn't like Princess Beatrice's hat, though. Sue me.

I don't know who Tara Palmer-Tomkinson is, but someone should have told her "electric blue" isn't in anyone's color scheme anymore:


The Beckham's were in attendance, David in a nice suit and Victoria in a maternity dress she designed, hat with a bauble that could poke her's or someone else's eye out, and some outrageous platform heels that I dare say few other pregnant women would have tried:

Loved it!

I thought Kate's mother Carole looked gorgeous, as well.


Oh, Queen Mum, why must you be so stuck up? Anyone else think it's odd (and maybe this is a British thing) that they sang "God Save the Queen" at a wedding? And not only that, but that the Queen wasn't singing? I guess it's her song and all about saving her, so maybe she didn't feel the need. Any engaged couples planning on using "The Star Spangled Banner"? And everyone who betted on the Queen wearing yellow- congrats on your financial windfall!

4 comments:

  1. I meant to tell you this on the phone - I just knew you'd have a post about Williams and Kate. I was surprised to not see it yesterday. :) It was so good talking to you today. I think Colin finally decided he's tired enough to sleep now... we'll see how long it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was Fergie in all this (I guess she wasn't invited, but still, you know she knew what they were wearing. And she didn't speak up)? Why didn't someone tell those poor girls how awful they looked? Have they no real girl friends? I would tell you Jana. Because I love you and friends don't let friends go out in public like that. Period. End of story. Or Fairy tale.

    Well, we know Kate will age well because her mother is stunning.

    And, Chelsy? Are those tan lines?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- I worked on it last night, but my computer is running slow and I was having trouble finding pictures that really told the story (i.e. the train wreck that was Tara Palmer-Tomkinson's outfit). I am still just so excited for y'all!

    And Leigh- should I ever wear the Philip Treacy hat Beatrice so gracefully wore, please, don't stop me. Although I truly did love it (don't judge me because I am serious as a heart attack on this one, Mrs. Kate dress-hater), if I EVER wear something like that, it would just be best to go ahead and show me the door to Lakeside. Because if I ever got the guts to wear something like that, it would mean I had gone crazy in some way. So just let me be crazy in my crazy hat.

    Now, if I decide to do raccoon eyes or wear an ensemble that resembles an Easter egg (ahem, Eugenia), go ahead and pull me aside, have a little talk with me, then help me figure out how to pick a decent outfit.

    And do y'all- my 2 faithful blog readers- know I forgot to include Pippa in my post? How could I? Pippa, aside from loving her name, looked Ah-Mazing. Seriously- I was a little shocked at the dress color. Maybe being from the South and in addition to having outrageous numbers of bridesmaids, we also believe in our bridesmaids wearing colors. Anyone other than the bride attending the wedding should be wearing a color, really, so when I see her, in ivory, I'm like, "Hold up. This isn't working." But, the dress was cute and she obviously could pull it off without the help of Spanx, which I cannot do. So, jealousy reigns supreme with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff and I are probably going to a wedding in England in December and plan to rock a hat or fascinator of some kind. I've been talking to my friends that are planning on going and even the mother of the groom is planning on wearing something! I'll be sure to send pictures so you can laugh and post about me!

    I did love the wedding and people watching. There is a British movie that I love and there is a quote that we use at our house often, "Darling, we're British. We only show affection to dogs and horses."

    ReplyDelete