Tuesday, August 30, 2011

MTV VMAs

I realized how old I was last night when I watched the MTV VMAs. Believing I should fully immerse myself in pop culture, I am guilty of watching Jersey Shore (it's still on DVR rotation) and when nothing else is on, Teen Mom and True Life have been known to be on our TV.

And truthfully, there's always some crazy something that happens during the MTV awards shows that people are talking about later. Who wants to miss trainwrecks?

Let's start with Lady Gaga, who I normally love, but who showed up as Jo Calderone, some alter-ego, greaser-looking version of herself.

Her performance of You and I was great, but the character was just weird. And it got worse as the night went on and she presented Britney Spears with the Lifetime Achievement Award (or whatever MTV calls it), then tried to kiss her. And since Britney is on the straight and narrow (when she wants to be) now, she was like, "I've already done that." and turned away. Awkward.

Regardless of the fact Britney read the teleprompter like Hooked on Phonics really didn't work for her, she actually looked decent, like she's finally getting her act together. And who woulda thunk she'd end up with someone like Jason Traywick:


Did you hear? Beyonce is pregnant! If you haven't heard that, you must be living under a rock. Not only was it rumored, but that's all anyone has talked about since Sunday. Truly though, she really does have that "glow" and at the end of her performance when she turned to show off her belly, you could tell she was thrilled. Really cute to see:


Love Adele. Love, love, love her.


You knew I'd include a Foo Fighters picture. They won for Walk and all I could think of is how it wasn't that long ago that MTV was about music and now the Foo Fighters are almost an enigma in the music world.


And then I felt even worse for Dave Grohl when Chris Brown, who didn't so much sing as "beat that beat" and dance angrily, used a portion of Smells Like Teen Spirit in his acrobatic act:


Russell Brand did a really nice tribute to Amy Winehouse, even if he's normally so funny that it was hard to take him seriously. Bruno Mars did a great version of Valerie as a tribute. I could listen to the Back to Black CD over and over again and never get tired of it.


What the what? Is that Rainbow Brite on stage?


Oh, Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj...your attempts at being the poor man's Lady Gaga are failing. Miserably.



So, the night turned out to be rather calm by MTV standards. No overly elaborate costumes, no one running on stage to ruin poor Taylor Swift's speech, and Lil Wayne's performance was almost impossible to understand because of the bleeping and screaming. Par for the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment