Saturday, January 7, 2012

Me? Cook?

I really have a love/hate relationship with the kitchen. I go through phases in which I'll try new things (mainly desserts because I have a good track record with those), then get bored and go right back to wanting Chick-fil-A every meal.

Over Christmas, I did a lot of cooking. This whole Pinterest thing gave me a boost of confidence and for the most part, things I've tried have turned out edible, if not- dare I say it- good.

I've already discussed the peanut butter fudge and I just finished up a batch of regular fudge made the same way- a jar of chocolate icing and chocolate chips melted together. We'll see.

I made Tiger Butter:

*Presentation and picture taking are not things I have learned from Pinterest, obviously.

Microwave 2 bags of white chocolate chips and 3/4 cup of peanut butter together. Spread onto a lightly greased foil or wax paper lined tray. Microwave 1 bag of chocolate chips and spread onto white chocolate chip/peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate 2 hours, then cut into squares.

I also made honey chicken, which I do not have pictures of, but should say was a huge deal for me. My cousin Erin had given me the recipe before and I never made it. Her mom, my Aunt Rita, was in charge of Christmas dinner and made this, we loved it, so I gave it a try. I should remind everyone that aside from dumping chicken into the crockpot, I have nothing to do with raw, wiggly chicken.

*4 tbsp. margarine
*1/2 cup honey
*1/4 cup mustard
*1 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. curry
*1 cut up chicken (I don't "cut up" chicken and used 4 chicken breasts instead. We survived.)

Melt margarine in a shallow casserole dish or baking pan in the oven. Stir in honey, mustard, salt, and curry. Dip pieces of chicken in the honey mixture to cover and leave in pan to bake. Place pan in oven and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Success! Aside from 1 night when Jeff cooked, last Friday was the only time, in the 4 years we've lived in this house, that chicken was cooked in the oven.

I tried baked French toast for our New Year's Day breakfast, but it didn't turn out well. I think if I had used Texas toast instead of layers of regular sandwich bread, it would have been better. There was just too much liquid mix, so the top baked just fine (and was about to burn), but the bottom was swimming in batter. I'm going to keep trying it, though, because the top layer was pretty good.

We'll see what I can come up with to try next. I found a recipe for homemade granola bars, but may be alone in eating those. Jeff kinda turned his nose up at the idea and Cooper is pretty content with hot dogs, bacon, and Woody Buzz (for those not in the loop, those would be Toy Story fruit snacks- his current food obsession).

No comments:

Post a Comment