Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Break!

Last week, I was on Spring Break and honestly, it's one of the best breaks I've had in recent memory. I was able to get a lot accomplished, spent quality time with Cooper and Jeff, and had some time to myself. I was relaxed and willingly admit it was very difficult to return to work.

My break started with a Friday night yoga class, taught by Jeff's aunt, Susan. She surprised everyone with wine afterwards and I have to say, it's probably the best yoga class I've been to! Nana and Bobo volunteered to keep Cooper so Jeff and I could have a night out Saturday. We tried Rizzo's Diner, a relatively new, locally owned, restaurant downtown. I had the cajun chicken pot pie and Jeff had the meatloaf. We both agreed that we could tell the food was good and would like to try it again, but would definitely try something different next time. My chicken pot pie was SWIMMING in heavy cream and butter sauce- kinda gross. After dinner, we went to see "Friends with Kids", which basically consisted of the cast from "Bridesmaids" and was about how dynamics between friends change when kids are brought into the picture. I loved it; Jeff thought it was okay, but we both agreed the storyline was pretty true to life. Sunday, Jeff worked at the golf course and I got started on my Spring Break project- painting our new closet and bedroom doors. We picked Cooper up, then headed to my parents' house to celebrate Uncle Tada's 25th birthday.

Monday, Cooper and I spent the day together. He really enjoys watching a show on PBS called "Super Why" about a little boy named Wyatt and his friends who solve problems, focusing on word and letter recognition. We watched the episode a few times, then started playing with Cooper's LeapFrog alphabet refrigerator magnets. I amazed at how quickly he picked up letter recognition. He can say the alphabet and we're not completely there, but I was shocked at how many he was able to point out to me.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, Cooper went to Lala's house while I worked on painting the doors again. I was able to finish the coat closet, our office bedroom and closet door, the master bedroom door, and Cooper's bedroom door- much more than I anticipated being able to do! I went to another yoga class and got my hair done Tuesday and even got in some shopping late Thursday afternoon while Jeff and Bobo took Cooper to play golf.

Cooper and I spent the day together again Friday. I had no idea it was supposed to rain all day, so my plan of taking him to the zoo was nixed. Instead, we opened the blinds, watched it rain, and talked about "kunder." A few more viewings of "Super Why", a long nap, and Jeff was home for the weekend. We watched the Memphis game , then had our tradition Friday-night-during-Lent meal of cheese pizza.

Saturday was so pretty, so we decided to go for a walk downtown. Cooper did great. Last year, he started trying to escape from the "scroller", so we weren't able to go on many walks. This time, he rode in the stroller until we made it to a neighborhood area, then held Jeff's hand (he refused to walk with me) until we got closer to a busy street, then willingly rode in the stroller the rest of the way.


We found a fountain, which entertained Cooper for 2 minutes as he was throwing pennies into it.


"Daddy run with Coopie!"


I think we wore him out. Plus, with the nasty Memphis basketball loss the night before, he's ready for football.

My parents offered to keep Cooper Saturday night, so after meeting them at church, Jeff and I headed out...for what, we didn't know. I wanted to see "Jeff Who Lives at Home", but Jeff didn't seem interested. We wanted to eat someone we normally wouldn't be able to with Cooper in tow, but downtown was crawling with St. Patrick's Day revelers. We ended up at tried-but-true Amerigo's for a late dinner. Then my parents called- Cooper was screaming and they couldn't get him to calm down. He kept asking for us. It broke my heart and I think they were bugged by it, too. I suggested putting in "WoodyBuzz" aka "Toy Story" and that seemed to help.

Sunday, Jeff went to work and I worked around the house. I made granola, did laundry, watched CBS Sunday Morning with coffee that was still hot when I started drinking it and without interruptions (this never happens!) and right as I got started on my walk, my parents called saying they were at our house with Cooper. They'd had a big morning, too- chocolate donuts for breakfast, another viewing of "WoodyBuzz", then a trip to Turtle Bayou. Cooper will tell you the turtles live in "chocolate water", which I guess would be a pretty accurate description of muddy water. We played outside until Jeff came home from work, then spent the afternoon sneezing and sniffling (the pollen is AWFUL this year) before going to Nana and Bobo's for dinner.

And a new discovery: Cooper has decided he doesn't want him picture taken.

NO!

We also have taught him that Mommy's name is Jana and Daddy's name is Jeff, thinking we were being smart and working towards knowing information in case of emergencies. Yeah, now he's calling us by our first names instead of Mommy and Daddy sometimes. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment