Sunday, March 6, 2011

Dining Review and a Moment of Calm

Saturday night, Nana and Honda (Jeff's parent) kept Cooper for us to have a date night. Like most of our date nights, we had plans to go to dinner and a movie and it didn't happen. I was already sleepy at 5pm and worried I wouldn't make it through the movie.

So, off to Costco and Three Angels Diner on Broad Avenue for dinner we went. Broad Avenue is going through a revitalization and Three Angels is one of the newest businesses to open. They have several sandwiches and dinner plate options, use local produce (which I love, even when the weather isn't conducive to much more than growing lettuce), and a full bar (if that's your thing, which for me, it is).

One little hiccup, though: I ordered an open-faced chicken sandwich that came with gravy. I asked that the gravy be put on the side so I could control the amount (yes, my control issues carry into food) and was told that if I didn't order it with the gravy, it would mess up the presentation of the dish.

Silence. Blank stare. Confusion.

I'm sorry, did I walk into a museum, mistaking it for a restaurant? Am I paying for presentation or to eat? And, I'm in a glorified diner, not an award-winning 4 star restaurant, right? I was assured that I would love the gravy. Don't you just love it when people who don't know you assure you that you will love something? The owners of Three Angels Diner also own Bari and I had heard they were sometimes rude when accommodating guests. We've never been there and the waitress at Three Angels wasn't rude, but if I'm asking for something to be put on the side, I'm probably more concerned about how the food tastes than presentation.

Unfortunately, I did not love the gravy, there was way too much and it was impossible to just scrape it off. Fortunately, I have a husband who was willing to trade his meatloaf and mashed potatoes for my gravy-ladden sandwich. We both ended up liking our dinners and we'll go back, but knowing they aren't willing to fulfill a simple request.

In other news, Cooper actually chilled out in the chair for more than a minute. See below.

Bowl of snacks, belly out, on a rainy Saturday. Like my aunt and uncle said, "This must run in the family."

No comments:

Post a Comment