Friday, March 11, 2011

What's in a Name?

Thanks to Adrienne at AOG Daily for the post idea!

How did you parents decide on your name?
My parents had a friend who was dating a Jana and they knew they wanted something different. They didn't know whether they were having a boy or a girl. I have no idea what I would have been if I was a boy.

Do your initials (first/middle/last) spell anything funny?
No, JMB were my initials before I got married and JBR are my initials now.

Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you drop your middle name and take your maiden name as your middle name?
I use my maiden name as a middle name now, just out of tradition, mainly.

Are you or will you name your children systematically (ie, same first letter, same origin, etc?)
No. As systematic as we get is picking names we like. If they should so happen to begin with the same letter or be from the same origin, it wasn't done on purpose.

Did you decide on names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
I had my ideas, but they always changed. Jeff and I agreed on Cooper's name a few years before we thought about having kids and are keeping our idea of a girl's name secret when and if she ever comes along.

Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
My father and brother have the same middle name and I'm fairly certain that if my brother ever has a son, he will have the middle name as well. Jeff, Cooper, and Jeff's father have the same middle name.

Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
The name itself.

Do you name pet names with human names or dog names?
Human names- Avery was named after former Memphis football player Maurice Avery.

Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience or someone you once knew?
I work in a school, so, yes.

What are some of your favorite names and why?
Not divulging this! I want our kids' names to be a secret until we find out what we're having, when we have more kids. I like unique names, but not so unique that people think you are weird (Hello Pilot Inspektor and Moxie Crimefighter).

No comments:

Post a Comment